Apple, carrot and zucchini cake with ginger and turmeric
Rate this recipe!
Overall rating 00 ratings
For the cake
spelt flour light and sweet
walnuts chopped and toasted
at room temperature
or lemon its juice
freshly grated ginger
freshly grated nutmeg
Philadelphia cheese or any cream cheese
1. Preheat oven at 180C or 350F and prepare two oven proof loaf pans (8X4in) by greasing those well with butter or line with parchment paper.
2. Wash, peel and grate the carrots, courgette and chop the apples.
3. Toast and chop the walnuts.
4. Squeeze all the juice out of the courgette by using a clean kitchen towel or by simply squeezing a fair amount of grated courgette between your palms until you managed to squeeze all the juice out.
5. In a freestanding mixer, mix the softened butter and the sugar until nice and creamy. Add the eggs one by one mixing 30 seconds between them.
6. Add the orange or the lemon juice, salt (unless using slightly salted butter), vanilla and the freshly grated ginger. Mix for a further 30 seconds until it is all incorporated.
7. In a separate bowl, mix the flour with the soda bicarbonate, baking powder, turmeric and cinnamon powders as well as the freshly grated nutmeg.
8. Fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix with a spatula until incorporated.
9. Add the grated carrots, courgette and chopped apple and the toasted and chopped nuts. Mix all in with a spatula.
10. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tins and bake at 180C in the middle of the oven for about 50 min until it bounces back when pressed slightly and gently in the middle or until they become nice and golden brown. Turn midway if necessary.
11. While the cake is baking prepare the frosting by whisking the cream cheese with the sugar and the lemon or orange juice. Add as much lemon/orange juice as needed until it gets to the desired fluidity/consistency, enough to make a beautiful drizzle.
12. Allow the cakes to cool completely on a cooling rack before drizzling the frosting. Enjoy ?!
Crumbs is honored to team up with MightyNest, who is kicking off the back-to-school season by bringing you everything you need to do lunch, including healthy recipes like the zucchini bread with apples andcarrots below, meal-planning tips and ideas for sending waste-free lunches to school
ZucchiniCakewith Apple and Chocolate. If you have children that love to eat sweets but don't like fruits and vegetables, make it also for them, I assure you that they will eat it with pleasure (but do not tell them immediately that it contains zucchini
With simple non-exotic ingredients and no-fuss method of making it, this cake is the perfect example of old-school baking and by finishing it off with a creamy savoury icing, Alana has given it a modern twist
Add the carrots, pineapple, coconut, raisins and chopped walnuts. Carrots, pineapple and coconut. It so happened that I applied the icing and then I had to leave the cake for one whole day because I was out
Something that I really like about vegan cakesand cookies, is that as the dough doesn’t contain eggs, I can eat it without any risk, and I can add spices or sweeteners to my taste (I have never been able to resist trying the dough before baking something)