Potato soup with ham hock and petit pois (garden peas)
Rate this recipe!
Overall rating 4.52 ratings
stock I used vegetable but water is as good
pork ribs I used smoked
ham hock ready cooked – pulled
large organic approx 500g
peppers see Recipe Notes for more info on these
fresh garden peas
I use the green end
Fresh herbs I have used parsley and dill
black pepper or less
1. Place a larger pot over medium heat. Add the pork ribs together with the finely chopped leek and onions. Use a little drizzle of oil if you fancy a little frying and cook for 5 min stirring occasionally. I use a sprinkle of water instead of oil.
2. Add the remaining chopped or cubed vegetables (1 carrot, 1/2 courgette, 2 celery sticks, 2 long Turkish peppers and the roughly cut potatoes. I usually cut those into 8 or 12 chunks depending on how big they are. Allow these to cook with some salt for a further 3-4 min. Stir every minute or so.
3. Add the vegetable stock (or the water), the bay leaves. When it reaches the boiling point turn the heat slightly down to keep it to a nice bubbling point. Cover and cook for 40 minutes.
4. After the 40 minutes, uncover, add some salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. If using gammon or any salty meat you may reduce the amount of salt or add none at all.
5. Add the cooked ham hock, the garlic and the frozen peas. Allow to boil for a further 10 min uncovered. Add the herbs at the end and serve with some nice crusty homemade sourdough or any crusty bread.
Replace bacon with turkey or chicken. Replace cream with non-fat sour cream. For a completely different soup, replace the potatowith sweet potatoand add 1/2 tsp mild curry powder and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. 1/2 tsp mild curry powder and