Wild Red Salmon (Alaskan King is a good choice)
Red Onion, Chopped
Basil, Packed Tightly
Capers (That’s about 5 forks full out of the jar)
Ingredients for Cucumber Mint Relish
inch English or Hot House Cucumber
Red Onion, Chopped
Zest of One Large Lime
Juice From the Same Lime
Honey Ginger Balsamic
Fresh Mint, Chopped
Shakes of Hot Sauce to Personal Taste
1) Take about ½ of the salmon and place in food processor. Process until almost a puree. Place the salmon in the medium size mixing bowl.
2) Chop balance of salmon finely and also place inside mixing bowl.
3) Add the chopped red onion, chopped basil, sea salt and wasabi powder and capers to the salmon.
4) Mix thoroughly using clean, washed hands.
5) Fill a medium bowl with cold water about 3/4 of the way full. Salmon burgers can be sticky, you can wet your hands in the bowl of water to help you form the burgers if necessary. Form salmon into 6-6 ounce salmon burgers and place on a plate. You should weigh at least the first one on your kitchen scale – just to get an idea of the size & volume.
6) Cover the salmon burgers with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator while you make Cucumber Mint Relish.
I always form my burgerswith a hole in the center for more uniformed cooking. Asian Burgers. Spread both sides with Hoisin Spread, lay a couple cabbage leaves on the bottom, add a cooked burger, then some cucumbers and onion
Trim ends from cucumbers and cut crosswise into 24 (3/4-inch-thick) rounds. Scoop a 1/2-inch-deep depression from one side of each round with a small melon-baller, forming little cups. Drain cucumbers, cup sides down, on paper towels for 15 minutes. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon cheese mixture into each cucumber cup. Top each cup with 1 salmon strip and 1 dill sprig. 1 1/3 large cucumbers. 4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 2-inch strips
I tweaked the recipe a bit and came up with my Salmon Burger recipe. I’m guessing it has something to do with some of the soft bones ending up in the food, but whatever the reason, I’m thrilled to find something so easy and tasty that is also good for you
Tossed together with cool, crunchy baby cucumbers, refreshing mint, tangy lime and a little fresh red chili and green onion for pep, this salad will not only keep you refreshed and satisfied in summer but is so easy to prepare you can forget all about any of those lofty cooking goals you may have had
They were really good and we are having the leftovers today with our lunch. The Mint & Onion Chutney recipe was from The Low-Fat Indian Vegetarian Cookbook The Cucumber & Coriander/Cilantro Raita and the Vegetable Raita were both from A Vegan Taste of India Top Left