Xylitol and Dogs
Martha's List - The Good, The Bad, The Maybe
Martha's List - The Good, The Bad, The Maybe
  • Rate this recipe!
  • Your rating
Overall rating 0 0 ratings


  • 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 per "dot" (dissolvable tablet)
  • 1 reverse transcriptase inhibitor
  • 50 to 95 percent However, in dogs, xylitol is rapidly and completely absorbed within about 30 minutes Just a small amount of xylitol can cause a dangerous insulin surge and a rapid drop in blood sugar.
  • small
  • 0.1 grams/kg, while the amount needed to cause hepatic necrosis (liver failure) is approximately 0.5 grams/kg. As a point of reference, most chewing gums and breath mints typically contain .22 to
  • 1.0 gram of xylitol per piece of gum or per mint. This means just a single piece of gum or one mint may cause hypoglycemia in a 10-pound dog.
  • dextrose
  • 48 hours In dogs who ingest enough xylitol to cause liver toxicity, liver enzymes must be closely monitored, as evidence of hepatic necrosis can show up one to two days after ingestion. Should the liver begin to fail, the dog will require IV fluids, dextrose, hepatoprotectants (substances to help support and repair the liver), and regular monitoring of blood clotting activity.



Log in or Register to write a comment.